At William Byrd Primary Academy we believe that PE & Sport can play a vital role in a child’s personal development, with the potential to change young people’s lives for the better when channelled the right way.
We have welcomed the Government’s announcement in June 2013 to provide primary schools with additional funding to improve the provision of PE & Sport in schools and have been gradually working hard to raise the profile of PE & Sport within our school. In July 2017 the government announced the Sport Premium funding will be doubling due to the huge success and impact the additional funding has had across the nation.
The whole school is fully committed to using this extra resource in developing high quality PE lessons, up-skilling teachers to improve subject knowledge and confidence levels, increasing extracurricular sports club provision, providing more competitive opportunities and encouraging young people to lead active and healthy lifestyles on a daily basis.
Utilising the positive power PE and sport can have on an individual it is our mission to ensure every child has access to quality coaching to help them realise their maximum potential.
Actual Funding Allocation 2019-2020
The Sport Premium Grant funding for primary schools will be calculated by the amount of primary school aged children. Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £20,720 plus an additional payments of £10 per pupil.
For the 2019-20 academic year William Byrd Primary Academy will receive a total of £20,720 + amount of pupils x £10 each.
Five key areas the Sport Premium Funding will be spent at William Byrd Academy
1. The engagement of ALL pupils in regular physical activity – kick starting healthy active lifestyles.
2. Raising the profile of PE & Sport within the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
3. Increased confidence, skills and subject knowledge in delivering high quality PE lessons & sport events.
4. Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
5. Increased participation and opportunity to participate in competitive sport.